Monday, October 22, 2012

Fifteenth Pen

    The pen is the outcome of a couple of accidents.  The original intention was to make two pens, but one half of each pen broke on the lathe so I combined the other two halves into one pen.  The wood I used was some remaining blanks from my dads variety box.  I made a template out of paper the length and width of the blanks and cut a curve out length ways.  I then traced the curve onto the blanks, and cut the blanks on the band saw. I then matched up two different woods I thought looked good together.  A little bit of sanding was required on the side I made the cut.  Then I took a piece of Pine veneer my dad had and cut it a little wide and longer than the blank and soaked it in water until I could bend it without breaking it.  I dried it off enough so that it wasn't dripping and glued it between the two wood I had chosen.  The glue joints turned out pretty well.
    But as I said one of the tube of each of the two pens I was trying to make broke on the lathe, so I'm wondering if the joints weren't as good as I thought.  After I was finished turning I combined the two remaining blanks into the pen.  Even thought the woods are different I think the pen looks pretty nice.




No comments:

Post a Comment