Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fourteenth Pen

    This is another pen made from Cherry and Maple.  I particularly like this pen as well.  This was a little tricky to put together.  To start I made a single Cherry blank and a single Maple blank 2 1/4 inches long.  Then I cut each blank in half length ways and glued each Cherry half to a Maple half.  After they dried I rotated the blanks and cut them in half length ways again.  Then I glued them back together so that if you looked at it from the end grain it would look like a checkerboard, or like my Twelfth pen.  Then I set up a stop block on the band saw so that I could make a cross cut on the blanks.  I cut both blanks into quarter inch sections.  Then I took all of the sections and rotated them and glued them together so they are like you see in the pictures.  I glued the sections together two at a time to have better control over how they set.  I took great care to keep the pieces lined up so that all of the corners would come together nice.  I took extra care with the gluing process over the entire course of putting this pen together, because there are so many places that the pen could come apart on the lathe.  I gave ample time for the glue to dry during all glue ups. 



No comments:

Post a Comment