Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fifth Pen

      I feel that this pen was my first pen that had some artistic flair.  I choose two blanks from my dad variety pack (do not know names) and cut each black in half at an angle.  I made a mark an eighth of an inch from the top left corner and the bottom right corner, connected the dots and made the cut along the line with the band saw.  Then I took the pieces over to the disk sander to smooth out the saw marks in order to have good glue lines.  Then I glue one part of each colored wood together.  After the glue dried I went through the normal steps of getting the blanks ready for the lathe. 

       The one thing I didn't foresee was the curves that would form where the ends of the two halves meet as it was turned down.  I thought that was really neat.  I also didn't realize that as the wood is turned down the place where the ends of the halves meet will move inward.  I was a bad thing, just something I hadn't thought about and was surprised to see at first. 



No comments:

Post a Comment