Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thirteenth Pen

     The next pen is also made from Maple and Cherry.  This design is still one of my favorites.  I think it turned out very well.
     To begin I made a Cherry and Maple blank.  Then I cut each blank in half along the length, matched up a Cherry half with a Maple half and glued the blanks back together.  After they had dried I made two more cuts in each.  The cuts form a V shape in the blank.  I don't remember the exact measurements I used for the cuts, but I believe it was something close to a half inch in from the edges at the top of the V and an inch in from the edges at the bottom of the V.  Then connect the lines of the V.  Then I made the cuts on with the band saw and cleaned up the edges on the disk sander.  Then I took the middle section out of each blank, spun it 180 degrees and put it back in, so you have the color pattern you see in the picture.  Gluing is tricky with this design as well because of the angles.  The pieces want to slide when pressure is applied.  After the glue dries, go through the usual steps to make the pen.



No comments:

Post a Comment