Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Resources

I thought I would list the resources I use to make my pens, in case anyone is curious.
I order the kits for the pens from Penn State Industries (www.pennstateind.com) I've been using the Slimline kits.
So far I've been using left over pen blanks from a variety pack my dad ordered and scrap wood from around the shop.
The wood glue I use is Titebond Original.
I use Gorilla Glue Super Glue to glue the tubes inside of the blanks.
For finishing the pens I use Master Woodturner's Finish then Rust-Oleum clear spray lacquer.

To find some inspiration for designing pen blanks I have typed "pen blank design" into Google Images and found various designs that people have made and that can be ordered.  I have taken elements of some of those designs when making my pens and there are still elements I would like to incorporate in the future.  I have also used ideas from http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/tutorials/SegPenBlanks.pdf    There you can find step by step instructions on how to make some very nice pens.  I have used the veneer idea in some of my pens, which I think turn out very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment